Herdy Mince Pies
How to make herdy mince pies
You will need:
8oz Plain flour
Pinch of salt
Jar of sweet mincemeat (bought, or if you're feeling creative, handmade)
Non-stick shallow bun tin
Round pastry cutter for the bases
Fluted pastry cutter for the lid - same diameter as biscuit stamp
Herdy biscuit stamp
1. Make the shortcrust pastry by rubbing the softened butter into the flour and salt to form a fine breadcrumb texture. Add sufficient water to form a dough and knead gently until smooth. Wrap in cling film and allow to rest in fridge for half an hour.
2. Take the pastry dough out of the fridge and roll out onto a floured surface to approx 2mm thick.
3. Grease the tray with butter
4. Use the circular cutter to cut out the bases. Place each base in the tin and push down gently.
5. Fill each pastry case with mincemeat, leaving a clean pastry edge all round.
6. To make the lids place the biscuit stamp inside the fluted cutter and push the biscuit stamp into the pastry to form an indent, leaving the fluted cutter in place. Take out the biscuit stamp and push down on the fluted cutter to cut out the top of the mince pie.
7. Dampen the edges of the pastry bases with water and put on the pastry lid, taking care to press down to seal the edges.
8. Brush mince pies with beaten egg.
9. Bake in a pre-heated oven at 200°c, gas mark 6 for 20-25 minutes until golden.
10. Cool on a wire rack when cooked.
11. Make your favourite brew (in a herdy mug of course), sit back and enjoy!
herdy biscuit stamp - buy now