What could be nicer than treating yourself to some special Herdy homemade shortbread and a brew on a chilly winters day. Here’s how.
Homemade Herdy Shortbread
Products used in this recipe
Recipe for making Herdy shortbread
- 250g/9oz unsalted butter (at room temperature)
- 125g/ 4 ½ oz caster sugar (plus a little extra for sprinkling)
- 250g/9oz plain flour (plus extra for rolling out)
- 125g/ 4½ oz cornflour
- Makes approx. 8 large herdy cookies, 12 small herdy cookies.
Method for making Herdy shortbread
1. Cream together butter and caster sugar in a bowl until light and fluffy
2. Sift in flour and cornflour and mix gently with a wooden spoon, then your hands to create a smooth dough.
3. Dust your work surface with flour and roll out dough to approx 8mm thick - best to use guides for this to ensure even thickness.
4. Cut out shortbread with the Herdy cookie cutter, taking care to press down all areas of the cutter. Dip the cutter in flour in between cuts, to prevent sticking.
5. Transfer to a non stick baking sheet.
6. Bake for 25–30 minutes at 150°C/300°F, gas mark 2.
7. When baked, sprinkle immediately with caster sugar.
8. Allow to cool a little before transferring to a wire rack.
9. Put your feet up and enjoy!