How To: Little Herdy Woolly Hat
Follow the step-by-step instructions below to create a very cute tiny woolly hat for your Little Herdy.
What you need to make a Little Herdy woolly hat
- Herdy wool yarn
- Toilet roll cardboard inner
- Large needle
- Thin white elastic
How to make a Little Herdy woolly hat
1. Take your cardboard toilet roll inner and mark out a line all around the tube that's 2cm from the end of the tube.
2. Cut with scissors to create a 2cm width ring.
3. Cut lengths of yarn, around 30cm long.
4. Double these over as shown to form a loop and thread through the cardboard ring, ensuring the loop end is positioned as seen in the photos.
5. Thread the yarn through the loop as pictured and pull gently to tighten so the yarn is flat against the cardboard ring.
6. Repeat this process until the whole cardboard ring is covered.
7. With your thumb, push the ends of the yarn through the now covered cardboard ring so they pop out the other side (pictured).
8. With a length of yarn, tie the yarn as illustrated to form the shape of the hat with bobble.
9. With scissors, trim the pop pom end to form a round shape.
10. Use a small piece of stuffing to keep the hat shape in place.
11. With a large needle, thread some thin elastic through the cardboard ring and out the other side as shown to form an elasticated strap. Tie a knot and trim off excess elastic. This will form a strap under Little Herdy’s chin to stop his hat blowing away when out on the windy fells.
And there you have it!
What colour will ewe choose? Perhaps you’ll do a multi-colour design? Show us your own Little Herdy Woolly Hats via our social media, we’d love to hear from ewe (Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and Pinterest)!