The daffodils are out, the days are longer, and spring’s new lambs are baaa-ing in the distance. All this could only mean one thing… it’s Easter 2019! A lot of us are excited to get our grubby mitts on some delicious chocolate eggs, but if you’re more of a cake fan then here’s a simple tutorial to make your own Herdy-themed Easter cupcakes using our new Sticky Notes Set! A lovely Easter gift.
Pssst… if you’re not into baking this Easter cupcake recipe, and you’re more into crafts and DIY, don’t worry! Why not have a go at making a Herdy Easter Egg Hunt?
Ingredients for cupcakes
110g softened unsalted butter
110g golden caster sugar
2 large eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
110g self-raising flour
Ingredients for the buttercream
140g unsalted butter, softened
280g icing sugar
1–2 tbsp milk
A few drops food colouring of your choice (optional)
Products used in this how-to
Get a Herdy Sticky Note Set
How to make Herdy Easter cupcakes
1. Heat oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas 4 and fill a 12-cupcake tray with cases. We used our herdy colours: pink, blue, green, orange, and purple.
2. Using an electric whisk, beat the butter and sugar together until pale and fluffy then whisk in the eggs, one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl after each addition.
3. Add the vanilla extract, flour, and a pinch of salt. Whisk until just combined then spoon the mixture into the cupcake cases.
4. Bake for 15 mins until golden brown and when a skewer inserted into the middle of each cake comes out clean. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
5. To make the buttercream, whisk butter until super soft then add icing sugar, vanilla extract, and a pinch of salt.
6. Whisk together until smooth (start off slowly to avoid an icing sugar cloud) then beat in the milk.
7. If you want colour, stir in the food colouring now. You can the spoon or pipe the buttercream onto the cooled cupcakes.
Herdy “sticky note” cup cake toppers
1. With your Herdy Sticky Note set peel off two of the same notes.
2. Use some glue to cover the base sticky note, then place a cocktail stick in the middle as shown and place the second note over the top.
3. Lightly press down with your fingers to secure and leave for the glue to dry. You can repeat this process with any of the smaller sticky notes as illustrated. Or even the big one, just make a big cake!