How To Make Tiny Flat Caps
Our Fun Manager created a window for our Hawes herdy shop to celebrate the Hawes Gala on Saturday 14th July. Within this she created some tiny flat caps for our Little Herdys… and now ewe can too!
Get crafty and create a flat cap for your own Little Herdy, guaranteed to make you smile!
Print out a copy of the free cutting template and follow the step-by-step instructions.
What you need to make tiny flat caps
- grey felt;
- sewing pins;
- small sewing needle;
- large sewing needle;
- grey thread;
- thin white elastic;
- strong card;
- double-sided tape or glue
How to make a tiny flat cap for your Little Herdy
1. Cut around the outer line of the cutting template;
2. Pin one of the smaller shapes plus the larger shape onto the felt fabric and cut out with scissors;
3. Draw around one of the smaller shapes onto the strong card and cut out with scissors;
4. Place a small piece of double-sided tape or glue onto the back of the card shape;
5. Take a small handful of stuffing, roll into a ball, and stick onto the card shape;
6. Sew around the edge of the larger felt shape, then draw in the thread slightly to gather in the felt shape so it forms a shallow bowl-like shape;
7. Place the card shape with stuffing face down into the felt shape;
8. Draw the thread so the felt gathers a tight shape around the card and tie a knot in the thread to hold in place;
9. Place the smaller felt shape over the gathered back, slightly off-centre so it overhangs slightly at one end;
10. Sew this into place, leaving the front piece unattached;
11. Using the big needle, thread the thin white elastic through the flat cap, over the top of the card form and tie in a knot to secure;
12. Trim off the excess elastic, and your flat cap is done!
Related Herdy World Posts